Adopt-A-Stream Training Materials
- Monitoring Procedures
- Data Form
- Clinton River Watershed Identification Key
- University of Wisconsin Extension Bug ID Chart
- Bug ID Self Quiz
Physical Monitoring Resources
- Guide to Aquatic Invertebrates of the Upper Midwest
- Jr. CAM – Catalog of Aquatic Macroinvertebrates (photos)
- Macroinvertebrate Quiz A-CAM Jr/Senior High School; (Answer Key)
- Macroinvertebrate Quiz B-CAM Jr/Senior High School; (Answer Key)
- Michigan Trout Streams Emergence Schedule. The Challenge Chapter -Trout Unlimited
(Online calendar of when MI trout insects emerge-change from larvae to adult)
- New York State Department of Conservation-Key to Aquatic Macroinvertebrates (photos)
- The Stream Study
(ID Keys and Resources based on Save Our Streams Program of the Izaak Walton League of America)
- US EPA- Benthic Macroinvertebrates in Our Waters
- Virginia Save Our Streams Macroinvertebrate Identification Online Training
(Macroinvertebrate module only; other training modules follow different procedures)
- Michigan Clean Water Corp (MICorp) Macroinvertebrate Identification Presentation (7MB)
A Guide to Common Freshwater Invertebrates of North AmericaVoshell, J. Reese Jr. 2002. The McDonald and Woodward Publishing Company.
Field friendly sized guide. Nice combination of color identification plates, identification characteristics and habitat/behavior information.Paperback. 442 pages. $29.95 list price.
Aquatic Entomology: The Fishermen’s and Ecologists’ Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their RelativesMcCafferty, W. Patrick. 1998. Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Useful information about family-level life cycles, macroinvertebrate identification and beautiful color illustrations.Paperback. 480 pages. $76.95 list price.
Guide to Aquatic Insects & CrustaceansIzaak Walton League of America. 2006. Stackpole Books.
Fully illustrated guide to identifying aquatic macroinvertebrates.Paperback. 74 pages. $7.95 list price. www.stackpolebooks.com.
Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North AmericaThird Edition. Merritt, R.W. and K.W. Cummins.1996. Kendall Hunt Publishing.
Demonstrations how to use an identification key and has interesting information about the life cycles, habitats and unique features, in addition to the identification key.Spiral bound paperback. 862 pages. $77.95 list price.
The Orvis Streamside Guide to Trout Foods and Their ImitationsRosenbauer, Tom. 2000.
A pocket-sized guide with lots of great information on the behavior and habitat of key trout food sources. Great photographs and lots of fly tying information. Limited information on larvae of many species.Hardback. 164 pages. $16.95 list price.
Trout Stream Insects-An Orvis Streamside GuidePobst, Dick. 1990. The Lyons Press (The Globe Pequot Press).
A detailed pocket sized field guide to the major trout-stream insects of the US. Divided into Eastern and Western US species. Organized by hatch date and includes lots of fly tying information for those who enjoy trout fishing. Lots of beautiful photographs. Limited to primary trout food sources; little information on other aquatic macroinvertebrates.Hardback. 81 pages. $16.95 list price.